Sunday 15 March 2020

Grappling for a Lifeline in a Turned Upside-Down World




Sometimes, in this world, we can feel like we’re drowning. Buried under a rush of circumstances beyond our control, we struggle to catch our breaths and, worst of all, we can’t seem to find our way up and out of the deluge.

I’m not a scuba diver, but I suspect that’s how it must feel when you’ve failed to put on your air supply and you’re in the middle of a deep dive.

In this world of deep dives, we can’t live without an air supply.

Are you in deep right now? What is your air supply? Mine is prayer. I can't imagine living without this open line of communication with God. But sometimes, I find myself gasping underwater, grappling for my air tank, trying to survive without giving my all in prayer.

‘Intentional, regular, disciplined, earnest, Christ-dependent, God-glorifying, joyful prayer [is] a duty the way it’s a duty for a scuba diver to put on his air tank before he goes underwater. It’s a duty the way pilots should listen to air traffic controllers. It’s a duty the way soldiers in combat should clean their rifles and load their guns. It’s a duty the way hungry people eat food. It’s a duty the way thirsty people drink water. It’s a duty the way a deaf man puts on his hearing aid. It’s a duty the way a diabetic takes his insulin. It’s a duty the way Pooh Bear looks for honey. It’s a duty the way pirates look for gold.’ (John Piper – Desiring God)

I've discovered recently that in addition to all the distractions and disruptions that keep me from praying I have a long list of 'good' things that steal into my one-on-one time with my Father. Maintaining a consistent, committed prayer walk has always been a struggle for me. It's like God is offering me a full tank of air, but I take only a half-breath then turn away and fight for air on my own. 

Why is it such a struggle to pray like I'm breathing?


Perhaps because prayer is hard work. Mentally, emotionally, sometimes physically taxing work. But it is a good work that accomplishes much. Perhaps even one of the good works God prepared in advance for us to walk in

 ‘Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ Jesus, greets you, always struggling on your behalf in his prayers, that you may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of God. For I bear him witness that he has worked hard for you and for those in Laodicea and in Hierapolis.’  (Colossians 4:12-13 emphasis mine)

If I'm being honest, I'm not an Epaphras. I long to be like him, but sometimes though, I succumb to the struggle to pray rather than struggle in my prayers on behalf of others. 

As I read that Bible passage, I was convicted. Who do I wrestle in prayer for? Who do I pray for like their very lives depend on it? What causes do I so burn with passion for that they demand I bring them before my Father? Am I selfish in my prayer time before the Lord?

In this world, where I often find myself submerged by sweeping trials and fears of all sorts, I long to cherish, embrace and honor this faith-infused lifeline God has extended to me. 

If I pause right now to think about them, I can become overwhelmed by the prayer needs around me - my own sinfulness and failure to thrive, the blatant spiritual attacks on family members, division within the body of Christ, and the upsurging flood of fear and lack of hope I see in the world’s eyes. 

These are just a few of mine, I'm sure you have your own.

How do we bring these heart cries to our God, taking full breaths of this means of grace He has offered to us?

Recently, I've been using two methods to help me. First and foremost, I dig into His Word and pour out my heart to Him as I learn about His. There is nothing quite like this. I've also been using the Live Amazed Prayer Planner. It helps me to focus my thoughts as I seek God, commit my causes to Him and celebrate who He is and what He is doing.

Even though I can’t say that I’ve enjoyed the painful toil of intense prayer or the circumstances that send me running desperately to my Father, I’m discovering that taking full, deep breaths of prayer gives me a front-row seat to live amazed at God. 

Because at the end of the day, no matter how turned upside-down this world may feel, He is still on His throne and He is able to plant my feet on solid ground. 

'As for me, I would seek God, and to God would I commit my cause, who does great things and unsearchable, marvelous things without number.' (Job 5:8-9)


*****************
What about you?

Are you drowning under the weight of the prayer needs around you? Are you turning to God first or struggling to breathe on your own? 
How are you choosing to focus on prayer and not give in to fear?  

May God reveal His glory to us more and more as we draw near to Him through prayer. 

Grace and peace to you,

Carlie

*****************

Would you like to join me in the front row and live amazed at God? I am pleased to offer you the Live Amazed Prayer Planner as a free gift when you subscribe to ‘From Dust Towards the Heavens’. 


*****************



When We Pray by Tauren Wells

*****************




Are you feeling fearful, frail or frazzled? 
Would you rather have peace, purpose, and power? 
Live Amazed - Embracing the Gifts of God in Longing, Loss, and Life is a 30-day devotional that helps to steer our hearts towards God in the midst of our secret longings, staggering losses, and day-to-day worries.  Through scripture and real-life struggles, these daily reflections invite us to embrace the peace, hope, and grace God so freely offers us. 

You can read a free sample devotion here or purchase your very own copy here
Thanks for supporting the 'live amazed' message. May we never fail to live amazed. 


16 comments:

  1. My prayer life could definitely use some added air, Carlie. Thanks for this reminder today of just how crucial prayer is for us as we seek to walk closer with our Lord and our God.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Martha.:) I'm trying to breathe deeply these days! Thankful for God's guiding presence and open invitation. Blessings, my friend!

      Delete
  2. I'm struggling with laryngitis these days, and it's been a good lesson for me in dependence. My next word, like my next breath, is in the hands of God, and is a gift from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're feeling better, Michele. I think that's one lesson God teaches me over and over, because I so often wander off and try to do life on my own. Thankful for His patience.

      Delete
  3. Prayer is a lifeline that I'll admit, I've been struggling to hold as tightly as I know I need to. It's as if, I've gotten out of my routine of spending as much time as I used to more consistently! This was an encouragement to my heart, in reminding me how very much I need this lifeline! #instaencouragement link up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone, April, many of us slip out of the routine of clinging as tightly as we need to. I'm thankful for God's open, welcoming arms always inviting us back.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this, Carlie! I think we are all in deep right now! We need BIG prayers in a BIG way, and a strengthened prayer life for sure. Thank you for posting these reminders!

    Pinned and will share to the IE Facebook page.

    Thank you for linking up at InstaEncouragements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Patsy! I think God is definitely inviting us into a strengthened prayer life! Blessings as we draw near to Him!

      Delete
  5. Great post! I love the John Piper quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! I really appreciate Pastor John's ministry!

      Delete
  6. Carlie ... yes, yes, our air supply!

    Every breath a prayer, constant connection with the One who loves us best, who holds us in His hand.

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every breath a prayer - sounds heavenly. Thanks for visiting, Linda!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great way to pray. I occasionally write out my prayers to help me stay focused.

    I love the Tauren Wells song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Lisa! Writing out your prayers is great and it also helps to look back and see how God has answered.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your heart for prayer and the excellent recommendations for how we can press through when it’s not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Dawn, and for your kind comment. Blessings!

      Delete

If this post speaks to you, please feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you. You can log-in using one of the pull-down options or comment as anonymous.