Thursday 16 January 2020

Wholly - My One Word and the Battle of the Wills



I’m not good at multitasking.

In fact, I don’t believe true multitasking is even possible.

There, I’ve said it. An unpopular opinion for sure, and probably one that sets me up for pitiful glances and lots of assumptions about my less-than-efficient life.

But I’m being honest, I really don’t think the brain is designed to focus fully on more than one task at a time. I believe we are most efficient when we wholly focus on a single thing at a time.

Singly focused.

Yes, that’s the way to go for me.

Except that I can be singly focused to a fault. I can get so zoned in on a project that all other areas, in need of attention, fall to the wayside. I don’t have to convince you, you already know. That’s not good.

So, in walks that elusive word—Balance. Is it even possible? And how do I find it, if it is? I strive to find it. But often, it feels like I’m groping in the dark. Am I the only one?

Yet my mind keeps wandering back to being ‘singly focused’—the zone in which I do my best work.

And then it dawns on me, or rather, God revealed it to me.

What if I’m singly focused on God, His purpose and plan for my life? What if my single focus in life was to bring God glory in everything I do? (1 Corinthians 10:31The more I thought about it, the clearer it became. This path would lead to true balance, the kind God designed for me, living in the center of His will.

As I pondered on what that would look like in my day-to-day, I realized a two-step process was necessary. Step one, recognize that God is wholly God and two, step down from my seat on the throne.

Sounds a lot like the Christian life, doesn’t it? Accepting Jesus Christ as the Lord of my life and following Him. Alignment of my will with His.

But that’s when my hypocrisy stepped forward and slapped me right in the face.

Turns out I’m a multitasker after all.  I switch back and forth between God’s will and my will . . . in rapid succession . . . daily . . . even as a Christian. Sometimes I even attempt them both at once.

The problem, it seems, is that I fight to sit on the throne with God. I don’t want to give up my seat (I feel drawn to its illusion of power and control), so I try to nudge God over so that we could share the seat. It’s as if I want to be God, too. (In my own life, anyway.)


But God, He loves me too much to let this nonsense continue. He has been wooing me, reminding me, showing me that He alone is God. He wants me to know that I can wholly trust Him because He is wholly God.


Wholly:  entirely, perfectly, completely, in a whole or complete manner, solely, exclusively, to the exclusion of other things, without exception

Wow!

This year, He tells me to step down. Double mindedness is not what He wants for me. For me, His precious child, one He chose even before I was born, He offers a full, abundant life. (John 10:10) And the only way, He promises, is through being single-minded, singly focused on Him and His lavish gift of grace which reveals Him in all His glory.

It’s all about Him.

Gently, He re-adjusts my focus and my fight. Rather than fight to hold on to my seat on the throne, He infuses me with the courage to keep fighting to live a life wholly devoted to Him. A life, He reminds me, that is only possible because of the victory He has already won for me. (1 John 5:4) I breathe a sigh of relief because I know, on my own, I don’t have what it takes.

So, my friend, if you’re like me, if you’re guilty of multitasking in your Christian walk, struggling to surrender fully to God in all aspects of your life, I share two words of encouragement.

Fight on!

You may feel like you’re losing the battle many a day, but God has already won the victory, a victory He so graciously shares with us. And what’s more? He has given us everything we need for living this godly, single-minded, sold-out-to-God life. (2 Peter 1:3) 

So, keep fighting! Victory is ours!

What about you?

Looking back over 2019, in what ways did God reveal His character to you? 

Which attributes of God were clearly evident in your life?

How does God revealing Himself to you help you to surrender wholly to Him?


Grace and peace to you,
Carlie

20 comments:

  1. What a perfect word for 2020, Carlie! I had to choose two: Submit and Trust. Sounds a lot like Wholly to me. May we all quit trying to get God to share His throne with us and simply follow and worship Him in all we do.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Submit and Trust! Love them! And yes, they link hands with Wholly.:) Praying right along with you that we may wholly submit to His will and trust Him in all areas of our lives. Blessings to you my friend.

      Delete
  2. I will keep fighting. Thanks for the encouragement. Visiting you from the grace and truth link up. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Lauren! So grateful we get to fight from victory!

      Delete
  3. Really fresh insight here. I've never thought about comparing multitasking to whether the Lord is on the throne of my life or me. Yet, in my own life I can see how I go between my will and His will. Somthing to think about and work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Isn't it wonderful God has given us everything we need for this fight?

      Delete
  4. Ooh, wholly is a really great word choice. I used to think I was great at multitasking but then I realized that I wasn't really multitasking; I was just switching tasks a lot. So your decision to be singly focused is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Praying for the Lord to help me remain fixed on Him.

      Delete
  5. Carlie, I love this! It goes perfectly with my ongoing focus to SEEK God first and live in ways that will give Him glory. It was my thought behind starting the #WWGGG FB Page. Oh, to remain wholly focused on him and live for Him. That is exactly my prayer. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! Yes, that is my prayer to live wholly for Him, and I'm so grateful He promises power to do this. Blessings my friend!

      Delete
  6. I multi-task A LOT, Carlie! It's how I'm wired. I can't just do one thing. Therefore, I struggle with being solely focused on God. This was a good post for me. I need these kinds of reminders. Thank you!

    Pinned.

    Thanks for linking up at InstaEncouragements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patsy! It's always a pleasure to link up with InstaEncouragements! Praying for us both to keep our focus on Him.

      Delete
  7. Carlie, what a good word! I remember once hearing ... We may be able to do all things, but we can't do all things well." That really struck deep as I want to do things well. May we keep our eyes on Him and do the things He has put before us well. I look forward to reading how this word unfolds in your life :)

    PS - My word this year is "Savor" > I want to spend time with Jesus so that my life exhibits Him in all I do and say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! I love the word - Savor. It reminds me of savoring a piece of dark chocolate, taking my time to enjoy all its delicious nuances. :) Love the thought of savoring all Jesus has to offer. (If you haven't already, John Piper's Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ would be good book to read.)

      Delete
  8. Fight on and remain wholly focused on him and live for him. Never thought of multi-tasking in this way. Shifting between my will and his will. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food for thought for us both, Yvonne! Thanks for visiting! May God help us to align our wills with His.

      Delete
  9. Wholly is a perfect word, Carlie. You have inspired me to see my own need to keep God on the throne of my heart! It really is a battle of wills! Thanks for cheering us all on with the reminder that God has provided all we need to live the abundant life. It's All about Him.❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is all about Him! So grateful He didn't leave us to fight alone. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  10. Ouch. I do the same thing--keep climbing back into the driver's seat wanting to take control. Thank you for the reminder that when I leave the control in God's hands, things turn out much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lesson I have to learn over and over again, but God is so patient with me. Thankful for His mercy and sovereignty!

      Delete

If this post speaks to you, please feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you. You can log-in using one of the pull-down options or comment as anonymous.