Thursday 1 November 2018

What If God Listens the Way I Do?


I am a good listener.

At least that’s what my pride told me.


And I believed it for a long time.

Even when it was clearly no longer true.

To be fair, I used to be a good listener.

I had learned the sacrifice well… had honed the skill and enjoyed the rewards.

But then, I got lazy.

I got selfish…

Well, to be honest, I am always selfish, but I allowed my selfishness to take over.

My ‘me-ness’ rose to the surface, refused to be kept down, demanded its time…

And I stopped listening well.

It started off slowly…

Not giving my full attention while listening to my family…

Not taking the time to listen to those within my circle – those in need of sacrificial listening.

But then the disease spread to my walk with God.

I would read His word yet quickly forget the truths found within.

You could tell it in the way I lived.

Not convinced.

Not fully accepting who He said He is, what His intentions are, who He says I am, and how He longs for me to respond.

Instead of being quick to listen, I was often painfully slow.

Even worse, I loitered in acting on His word.

What if God listens the way I do?

What if He becomes too distracted with all the thoughts in His mind to pay full attention to me… to us? 

What if His sovereignty over His creations - this world... this universe kept Him so busy that He had no or very little time for me?

What if I was dying for Him to hear me, but He was unwilling to sacrifice the time… the attention… the love that listening requires?

What if…?

But then the thought crashes in…

Who am I that God should listen to me?
‘Do I, a mere mortal made from a handful of dirt, dare open my mouth again to my Master?’ Genesis 18:27b
I am reminded of my frailty… my unworthiness… my ‘filthy rags’ and I wonder…

How can it be?

How can I… in all my sin and shame… even consider the thought of approaching the Lord of all this earth - the Lord enthroned in all-surpassing holiness - and expect that He will listen to me?

Yet, I am assured that He does listen –

‘The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on Him in truth.’ Psalm 145:18 
‘Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’ Jeremiah 29:12

I don’t even have to speak the words for Him to hear.

Have you ever been there? Carrying a burden so large, desperately wanting to talk, but not being able to find the words - God listens even then.

‘Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely.’ Psalm 139:4

And my unworthiness… my unrighteousness doesn’t even block the way, for I am assured that as a child of God, Christ’s righteousness flings open the doors for me.

‘Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.’ Romans 5:1-2a 

‘Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.’ Hebrews 4:16

Did you get that?

Access to God.

Approach with confidence.

Receive mercy.

Find grace.

When I ponder these precious truths, they pierce my soul… bring me to my knees… and infuse me with a renewed desire.

A desire to be still…

‘Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God.’ Job 37:14b
A desire to be slow to speak…

‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.’ Psalm 46:10

A desire to listen…

‘Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me; for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.’ Psalm 25:4-5

To listen wholeheartedly to the One who incredibly listens to my heart, my thoughts, my words and to savor my time with Him.

And when I listen, I hear His heart.

I hear…

His desire for me to sacrifice my time, my attention, my love, my prideful hunger to be heard… 

His desire for me to reflect His listening heart to those He places in my path...

His desire for me to be a good listener.


What about you?

When last did you consider the amazing truth that God listens to you?

Does this truth motivate you to be a better listener?

Which is your favorite ‘listening’ scripture?

****************************




19 comments:

  1. This is thought-provoking! I'm so glad He doesn't listen to me the same way I listen to Him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alyson! Can you imagine if He did? It makes me even more thankful for His listening heart.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Yikes! I feel like you wrote this post just for me. thank you for the wonderful reminder to listen to others the way we want God to listen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it was for me, too.:) Isn't it cool how God speaks to us?

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is eye opening, challenging and yet much comforting. Thanks Sis. Carla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and reading, Sis Sarah. Such a pleasure to have you here.

      Delete
  4. Oooo.... powerful words! Thank you for this challenge to listen wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Liz! It's quite a challenge, but God is able. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Julie. That's really great advice. I'm learning that myself as I parent teens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very thought provoking. The progression of not listening well, tuning out, grows and spreads throughout our lives. Thank you for challenging us to become aware and ask God to give us ears that truly hear - both Him and others. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ears that truly hear - yes - that is my prayer. Thanks for visiting, Joanne! Glad you were blessed.

      Delete
  7. Hi Carlie, I know that I'm not a good listener, and reading your post really drove the point home. It really is our pride that keeps us from listening to others and assert her right to be heard over hearing the heart of another person. Thank you for sharing your Insight with us at the #rara link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffiney, I like how you started out - owning up to it right away. It takes courage to acknowledge the fall out of our pride, yet it is often a necessary first step to growth. So grateful for a God who patiently guides us. Thanks for visiting here today. Blessings!

      Delete
  8. I find myself distracted sometimes too. Grateful that God never is! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an area I am working on. It is so easy to half listen, to pretend to listen, to be to busy to listen. But I don't want others or God to half listen to me. Thanks for this encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Theresa, we want to be wholeheartedly listened to and wholeheartedly listen to others. No more of this half stuff. :) Let's keep at it. God helps us in our weakness.

      Delete
  10. Yikes! What a good reminder. I have gotten really bad about the listening lately. Thank you for the wake-up call ♥
    Blessings to you,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure to have you visit, Lori! Love how we call each other higher and higher. :)

      Delete

If this post speaks to you, please feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you. You can log-in using one of the pull-down options or comment as anonymous.