Friday 1 May 2020

Are You Trying to Walk All Alone?


My baby girl turned 15 this month. (I'm still trying to let that fact sink in.)

She is a self-assured, gracious young lady, who is considerably taller than me.
Yet, that doesn't stop me. 

On occasions, when we're crossing the street, I instinctively reach for her hand. I just can't shake the desire to protect her and guide her safely across. 

Amused by my maternal reaction, she confidently walks across the street single-handedly. Unattached. Alone. 

It's not that she is ashamed to hold my hand. In fact, we often walk hand in hand just for fun when we are taking a stroll.  She enjoys my company, but she doesn't need my help. 

I think of how much I'm like her when it comes to my relationship with God. 

For my daughter, asserting her independence is an expected and welcomed step on her way toward adulthood. For me as a child of God, independence is downright dangerous. 

There is no earthly way I could live this Christian life on my own. But that hasn't stopped me from trying.  

On my own, or with the help of Google, I've attempted to solve so many problems. I'm an addicted, compulsive researcher, and given the right motivation and resources, I have been known to serve up a delectable offering of man-made solutions. 

Problem-solver is not the only cap I wear. I've also proudly battled sin in my own strength. I just tried harder and harder and relished my short-lived successes. 

All along, while wisdom from above and the power of Christ were available to me, I relied on earthly wisdom and strength—the perfect recipe for stumbling. 

But thankfully, despite my choice to go it alone, God continually reaches for my hand, reminding me that I cannot do life on my own. 


'Christianity is nothing if it is not supernatural.' ~ via Andrew Murray

All because of God, I'm finally getting it.


Now, during this global crisis, I'm remembering where my strength comes from. I'm remembering to trust His hand as He guides us safely across, to seek His wisdom first, and to wait on the life-giving power of His Spirit.

I'm learning afresh that I can't even walk without Him holding my hand. One of the ways I'm reaching up to take His hand is through prayer. And like the good Father that He is, God has filled His Word with just the right words I need as I cry out to Him for guidance. 


Would you join me in a prayer to walk humbly with God?

A Prayer to Walk with God* 
Dear Heavenly Father,
Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and in the earth, is Yours. Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, and You are exalted as head above all. In Your hand are power and might, and in Your hand, it is to make great and to give strength to all.

Thank you for holding my right hand and walking continually with me, guiding me with Your counsel. Thank You for being the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

I confess there are times I struggle free from Your grasp, wanting to do life my way. Thank You for Your steadfast love that continually pursues me, and through trials and troubles, woos me back to You. You know, O LORD, that it is good for me to be near You. Thank You for being my refuge.

Dear Father, the world has changed, and I don’t know what the future holds. But You hem me in, behind and before, and You lay Your hand upon me. No matter where this crisis leads, Your hand shall lead me and Your right hand shall hold me. I may not know where I’m going, but the darkness is not dark to You, O LORD. To You, the night is as bright as the day for darkness is as light with You, so please lead me in the way everlasting. Shed Your light on my path, O LORD, just enough that I may take the first right step. Then whisper in my ears, “This is the way, walk in it.”

Give me a heart that yearns to cling to You, that trusts in Your perfect, unchanging wisdom and Your infinite goodness.

As You reach out for my hand, help me to reach out to others, to share the hope that I find in You.  We are all desperate for hope and You are our Hope, a sure and steady anchor of the soul.  With You on our side, we need not fear.

Thank You, loving Father, for hearing my prayer, for answering me and becoming my salvation.

May I never fail to walk humbly with You.

In Jesus Christ’s Name, I pray. Amen

*(The following scriptures were used in constructing the prayer to walk with God: 1 Chronicles 29:10-12, Psalm 73:23-26, Psalm 139:5, 10-12, Isaiah 30:21, Hebrews 6:19, Psalm 118:6, 21, Micah 6:8.)



If you would like a free printable of the prayer, please click HERE.  


******************
What about you?

God wants to hold your hand. 
Are you reaching for it? 
Or trying to walk alone? 
Do you struggle to fully rely on God? 
How are you seeing the Lord walk with you through this season of uncertainty?

Grace and peace to you,
Carlie


Here's some classic encouragement in song: 'I Can't Even Walk' featuring Jessy Dixon. 
May you be encouraged.



******************

@Embracing the Unexpected


15 comments:

  1. Thank you, Carlie, for this poignant glimpse into your life and relationship with your daughter. I am now officially the shortest person in my home, and with 4 young men who call me mum, I still feel very protective toward them.
    God's tenderness toward us is a true gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Michele! My son also towers over me and daughter jokingly calls me 'little', but it's all good.:) I'm so blessed by them and our relationship has often pointed me to God.

      Delete
  2. I can so relate to this post. What a great analogy. Thank you for this prayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can relate, Belinda, and thank you for visiting! God is so faithful to give us even the words to pray! :)

      Delete
  3. This is SO GOOD. Thank you for sharing your heart and His truth - needed the reminder today that it's not my own strength (thank GOODNESS) but His!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. I'm so grateful it's not my own strength. God knew we couldn't do it alone.

      Delete
  4. Hi Carlie, Somehow my original comment never made it to you. I loved your post. I found myself nodding my head up and down over and over. I so often jump ahead of God. I have chosen your post to feature this Friday on Grace & Truth. Thank you for your words of wisdom. Maree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you okay with me creating a graphic with this on it - "For me, as a child of God, independence is downright dangerous." Carlie Lake

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Maree. You are such an encourager! I’m happy for you to share and create the graphic, as well! Blessings, my friend!

      Delete
  5. I hope I continue to remember that He wants to not only walk beside me - but hand in hand. I want to be sensitive to His reaching out to me. These quiet days of quarantine have helped...but I want to carry that sensitivity with me in the months ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! That's the real challenge, isn't it? To carry that sensitivity with us always. Praying we'll continue to reach up for His hands. It's so amazing that He wants to hold our hands.

      Delete
  6. I've often thought that as our children grow toward independence, as God's children, we grow more in dependence on Him. I'm so thankful for His patient grace in reminding us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Barbara. Thank you for your insight. God sure knows how to remind us of our need for Him, doesn't He? He is such a loving Father.

      Delete
  7. Amen, Carlie. Google is a poor substitute for God, isn't it? I guess there's some comfort in finding "answers" online, but the semblance of control they provide is fleeting. So much better, as you say, to reach for our heavenly Father's hand BEFORE we seek information online. Happy birthday to your sweet girl. Fifteen is a good year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lois! Sometimes, we got to learn the hard way, right? But God is so gracious! Thanks also, for the birthday greetings for my sweet girl, much appreciated. :)

      Delete

If this post speaks to you, please feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you. You can log-in using one of the pull-down options or comment as anonymous.