Thursday 24 December 2015

Living my Believe



I've been on a journey, and there is no end in sight. Sometimes the going seems easy; the path is uncluttered, and I can clearly see God working in my life. But there are times...many times... when the terrain is rugged; the way forward shrouded in mystery, and I grope along clinging only to what- rather Who- I believe. 

It seems so long ago now... December 2014... when I was compelled to choose BELIEVE as my one word for 2015. Just like my sister, Marva, over at SunSparkleShine, for the past couple of years I have prayerfully chosen one word that epitomizes my heart desires... my goals... my areas to focus on or grow in for the upcoming year. I have been simply blown away with how God has used this process in my life... so I should have had some idea what was coming. 

But God...

He never ceases to amaze. And through my journey into 'Believe'... my striving to live my 'Believe'... He has so personally and persistently stretched me and molded me and called me to come deeper... deeper into Him... deeper into living Who I believe. 

You see my friends, at the start of 2015, while our family was still adjusting to a major job change and relocation, and I was beginning to feel the strain of preparing my teenager for international examinations I was also desperately trying to find a way to help us all cope with the grave illness that was stealing my father away. I was thirsty for God's rest and 'I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living' (Psalm 27:13).

I had to pause and refocus my thoughts, my heart... I didn't want to be like the Israelites who '...could not enter in because of unbelief' (Hebrews 3:19). 

Perhaps I thought if I could work on my 'believe', then I would... You see, I mistakenly thought it was a simple IF/THEN relationship. IF I believe that God is who He says He is,  that He is faithful, unchanging, near me, the author and finisher of my faith, the Almighty who promises to never leave me and rewards those who diligently seek Him, THEN I would love Him and others, give thanks, praise Him, grow, thrive, believe everything is possible, show mercy to others, wait patiently, hope, be content, be peaceful...and the list goes on - there would be clear evidence of fruit in my life.



Living my 'Believe'

You know the saying - 'everyday can't be Christmas', but I figured why not? If I believe... then Christmas should live in me everyday and just like at Christmas time I would remember Jesus and what He has done for me and I would love Him with all of me (Mark 12:30) and love my brother sincerely from the heart in thought, word and deed (1 John 3:18).

I DO BELIEVE... and I am thankful to God who is the author and finisher of my faith. I am thankful that my salvation is a gift from God, solely dependent on Jesus and what He has done for me, a gift I could never repay. I am thankful that once I was dead but God quickened me and now I live. So... what was missing... what was stopping me? Why is it then that like Paul '...I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing.' Romans 7:19

Here, my friends, is what God has been teaching me.  Yes, I believe,  but I am called to diligently apply and practice the principles of the word of God in my life. I am called to 'take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ' (2 Corinthians 10:5).
I have been writing recently about remembering never to forget. But the key -God gently and persistently reminds me -is knowing what to remember and what to forget. You see to live my 'believe'  I must choose to forget me and remember Christ. Forget my weaknesses and inabilities, my propensity to fail, my past mistakes... and remember that God is all powerful and that His spirit lives in me and that I can do all things through Him who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13).  I must choose to forget what lies behind and 'press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus' (Philippians 3:13) . I must choose to remember that God is Enough and He is all that I need. I must choose to forget the speck of sawdust in my brother's eye and remember the plank in my own... (Mathew 7:3) I must choose to remember how deep and wide is the love that God has lavished on me and how thirsty my brother is for that love.  I must choose...

But the choosing is not easy. It is a battle of the will and it requires work. You see, we are called to love God with our minds so that we can love Him with our will and actions. And submitting that will takes effort and persistence but "God says that the song belongs to those who never, ever give up in implementing the truth of God's word in their lives." (Quote by David Jeremiah) God promises that if I abide (John 15:4) in Him, He will abide in me and then there will be much fruit in my life, and I choose to believe Him.

Yes, the journey continues but thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord, victory is possible (Romans7:24) and I can live my 'believe'... And not just at Christmas.

What about you? Does Christmas live in you? Are you living what you believe? Go even deeper... what do you believe? Take a few minutes this Christmas and ponder 'what' rather 'who' you believe. My prayer is that you will believe in Him whom God has sent (John 6:29) and that God will grant you His power to live your 'believe' (Philippians 4:13).

Please enjoy the following song as you ponder 'who' you believe. Blessings to you, my friend.

  


8 comments:

  1. Wow, Carlie, I am amazed at how God has been calling you deeper into your One Word and having you experience Him in deeper ways. This is such a great example of how he draws us near. I pray that as you turn your eyes to 2016 and your new word that he will draw you even closer and you will bring others along with you! Blessings, my sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marva! Yes, I am amazed by Him, too, and can't wait to see how He uses my new word to grow me deeper into Him. Thanks for your continued encouragement.

      Delete
  2. There is so much here, in the choosing to believe and forget those things that HE is inspiring us to reach for. I have found those words He gives us for our year ahead, they are a part of HIS character traits that we need to learn of. I have often wrestled with Him as He has led me to those words, especially last year, but at the end of the year I look back and have the 'aha' moment when I see just how He chose to guide me through those 365 days of living in that word.

    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Dawn. As I think about my new word for 2016, I realize that God is teaching me about His character and giving me the desire and power to mirror Him more and more each day. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Here's to many more 'aha' moments.

      Delete
  3. "Knowing what to remember and what to forget" - very insightful and practical. Many times people advise us to "Leave the past in the past," but there's much benefit from looking back at God's past faithfulness. Doing so never fails to inspire confidence in His future provision! May God continue to grant you a believing heart. Thank you for sharing this with us at Grace & Truth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, Jennifer, remembering never to forget God's faithfulness has really helped to pave my road to deeper trust in God. Thanks for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of Marva's is a friend of mine. And believe Christmas can live in the everyday - I like to think it is possible. When we allow Christ in, it is Christmas. This was beautifully written and I'm happy you shared it at Christmas in July. Hope to see you back next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, thanks for your kind words and warm welcome. It was a pleasure visiting Grammie Time this week; I found such inspiration there. I will definitely visit again.

      Delete

If this post speaks to you, please feel free to leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you. You can log-in using one of the pull-down options or comment as anonymous.